Our Mission > Initial Expansion
|Even though the friars were few in number, Fr. Otmar was making plans for expanding the outreach of the mission. With the arrival of Fr. August Rebel in 1958 and Fr. Senan Glass in April 1959, two important decisions were made: first, Fr. Stanley moved to the|
Kagua area southeast of Mendi to open a new station and second, Fr. Gregory was sent to Rabaul on New Britain Island to take a headmaster's course. Upon his return a new station would be opened in Erave where a central school for boys would be established.
New Guinea side of the island, had been evangelized initially in the 1930s and then extensively after World War II. These catechists became the backbone of the expansion in the Ialibu area, and some also served in Kagua and Erave.